A Winter Wonderland – Ski. Sled. Build.
January 6 - March 31
There’s always something to discover at Taltree in the winter! Here are some great winter activity ideas:
1. Let it snow. Let it snow. Let it snow!
- Cross Country Ski: Bring your skis.
Only need 4 to 5 inches of snow for great skiing. The Horse Trail (4.37 miles loop from the parking lot) has been designated as our cross country ski trail. The trail can be picked-up at the parking lot just east of the mounds and runs through a part of the arboretum most visitors do not get to see. No hiking or snowshoeing allowed on this trail. Cross country skiing trail distance now totals approximately 8 miles.
- Hike to spy animal tracks:
Only 1 inch of snow is needed for good viewing. Throughout the Arb. Stay on marked trails.
- Build a snow-family: Bring your building materials.
If its good packing snow, then only 3 inches of snow are needed. Build a snow-family near the Depot or the Pavilion. Snowman competition now through March 2.
- Sled: Bring your sled.
Only need 3 inches of snow for great sledding. The Mounds is a great place to sled.
- Snowshoeing: Bring your snowshoes.
Only 1 foot of snow needed for great shoeing. Snowshoeing allowed on all regular hiking trails.
Hiker/Shoers - Due to the extreme physical exertion it takes to create ski track grooves in the snow, all foot traffic should avoid stepping on existing ski tracks wherever found.
2. Children’s Adventure GardenVisit the animals (chickens, goats and pigs) and play until your heart’s content in the Musical Instrument Garden.
4. Ed’s Oasis view of the prairie
Access via Bluebird trail. Approximately a 10 minute walk from the Signature Tree.
5. Take a class! Take five! Now until April 1, buy 5 classes and receive the sixth one free. Classes are available now through end of November.