- This event has passed.
Trail of Scarecrows Contest 2014
September 1 - November 1| Free to participate
Contest 2014: Choose a story. Build a story scarecrow. Write an essay about how your scarecrow represents the story and/or character chosen.
Who can Participate: K through 5th grade groups. The group can be comprised of children from a school, community organization, home school or families.
First, second and third prizes will be awarded!
How to Enter:
- Choose a story.
- Read the book and decide how best to represent the story in scarecrow form.
- Collect items from your community, home, etc. to build your scarecrow and start building.
- Develop a 150-200 word essay about how the scarecrow best reflects the chosen story.
- Register and submit the essay to Taltree by September 15.
- Finish your scarecrow and drop it off at Taltree September 22-26.
- Registration and Essay Due – September 15
- Scarecrow Drop-Off – September 22-26 from 8-5 pm
- Scarecrows Displayed – October 1-31
- Awards Ceremony – November 1*
- Scarecrow Pick-Up – November 1 after awards ceremony or November 3-7 from 8-5 pm
*On November 1, all contestants (and their families) receive free admission to explore the arboretum after the awards ceremony.
Academic Standards: Indiana State Standards for K-5 English/Language Arts